Junior Greek and Latin Competitions
- For Latin Competitions: the candidates must currently be undergraduates enrolled in a Canadian institution who are at the second-year level in Latin.
- For Greek Competitions: the candidates must currently be undergraduates enrolled in a Canadian institution who are at the second-year level in Greek.
- Each candidate, in his or her own university, under conditions similar to those of official examinations, will have 50 minutes for the translation. (The passages may be translated into either French or English. Dictionaries may not be used.)
- Deadline for Applications: December 17, 2011
- Date of Competition for Latin: January 19, 2012
- Date of Competition for Greek (Margaret H. Thompson Prize): January 26, 2012
- Poster [pdf]
Prizes and certificates of merit are offered for the best translations, at sight, of a set passage in Latin
and for the best translations, at sight, of a set passage in Greek.
- 1st Prize : $150.00
- 2nd Prize : $100.00
- 3rd Prize : $50.00
Award winners are formally announced in May.
Applications must be submitted by institutions; applications on the part of individuals will not be accepted. Please submit only one application per institution. Each application should include the following information :
Name of institution
Email address (Important: where possible the examination papers are distributed in pdf format)
Approximate number of entries in each category
- Junior Greek
- Junior Latin
- Senior Greek
- Senior Latin
- High School Latin
Or, complete and mail this form [pdf]. (Please note: electronic submissions are strongly preferred.)
Please submit your application to:
Dr. Alison Barclay
Assistant professor of Classics
Dept. of Modern Languages and Classics
Saint Mary's University
Halifax, NS B3H 3C3
Tel: (902) 420-5816
Fax: (902) 491-8694
All expenses and prizes are provided by voluntary contributions. The Association is grateful for the financial support it has received in the past. If anyone is interested in contributing to the Sight Translation Competition Fund please send their contribution to the CAC Treasurer, Ingrid Holmberg, Department of Greek and Roman Studies, University of Victoria, Victora, B.C., V8W 3P4 (email). Cheques should be made out to the National Latin Sight Translation Contest (CAC).