[Note: The following ad is reprinted from CCB/BCEA 12.9, with added
Robert Welch University, an online university in Appleton, Wisconsin, is
seeking several qualified instructors of Classical Languages and
Classical Studies to join its faculty of nearly 20 distinguished adjunct
professors. The university is proud of its conservative values and its
commitment to providing a traditional Liberal Arts education.
Students in the Associate's Degree program in Liberal Arts take two
introductory courses in Latin, Greek or Biblical Hebrew and two Western
Civilization courses. Classical Studies courses and higher levels of the
language courses are available as electives.
RWU is now preparing a 4-year BA program in Liberal Arts with
specialization in Latin or Classical Studies. A program with
specialization in Ancient Greek is being considered for the future.
All teaching assignments will be based upon the interests and experience
of the instructor.
Candidates should be willing to teach a variety of courses from the list
- Latin language and literature courses (1st-4th year)
- Ancient Greek language and literature courses (1st-4th year)
- 4 Western Civilization courses (1st year survey courses)
- Survey course in Western philosophy (1st year course)
- Logic (1st year course)
- Ethics (1st year course)
- Ancient Greece, Ancient Rome (2nd year survey courses)
- Art History various periods (2nd year courses)
- Classical roots of the American founding (2nd year course)
- Introduction to the writings of political philosophers Plato, Aristotle,
Cicero, Augustine, Thomas Aquinas, and Machiavelli (2nd year course)
- Classical Mythology (3rd year course)
- Women in the Ancient World (3rd year course)
- Classical Rhetoric (3rd year course)
- History of Anglo-American Law (3rd year course)
- Holy Land, Heroes and History (3rd year course)
- Latin literature in translation (4th year course)
- Ancient Greek literature in translation (4th year course)
- Biblical Hebrew language and exegesis (all levels)
- Modern Hebrew (all levels)
Applicants should hold a PhD and be comfortable with the technology
required for online teaching. ABDs will be considered only if the
applicant has exceptional qualifications and can demonstrate substantial
progress toward the completion of the doctorate. Applicants are invited
to explore our website http://www.robertwelchuniversity.org
to become acquainted
with RWU's core values and mission. There is no closing date as RWU
accepts applications on an ongoing basis.
The Dean of RWU, Dr. Lisa St. Louis, will be attending the annual meeting
of the CAC and will be pleased to meet with any prospective applicants.
Please submit CV and letter of application to:
An interdisciplinary conference on 'Troy and the European Imagination,'
sponsored by the Bristol Institute for Research in the Humanities and
Arts, will take place in Bristol from July 7th to 9th. It ranges from the
C11th to the C19th, and includes discussion of foundation myths,
political exploitation of the legend, heroes and heroines, and
representations in art. Among the speakers are scholars from America,
Australia, Italy, and Spain. For details please see